New hotend

August 12, 2011

Since the last post, a while back, the hotend gave up. Initially it started leaking…. gently oozing pla out somewhere between the teflon and the brass. I took it apart and used sink/drain unblocker fluid to clean the pla out (most came out with gentle heating first). I added an extra turn on the teflon barrier threads with a die so I could better tighten the teflon into the brass nozzle in an effort to seal any gaps that may have formed and put it all back together. Unfortunately it leaked again quite soon afterwards so I repeated the process a second time.

Pretty soon it was leaking again. This had the effect of putting down ever so slightly less plastic than skeinforge anticipated and so the top layers were a shade sparse. In any case I rightly or wrongly I continued printing… but not for very long…. a couple of days at most. Then the hotend just packed it in altogether.

I opened it up again and the teflon was clogged so I drilled it out (forgetting I could just heat it in hot water!). Anyway with a 2mm channel drilled in the teflon I could still see some pla in the walls of the teflon (at the time I was printing with some nice orange from Vik!). I reckon the pla had forced itself into the teflon and was actually leaking from there and not at the brass interface though I should really split the teflon down the middle to verify that.

So I’d been hearing good things about Makergear’s hotend for quite some time and now being hotendless it seemed like a good time to get one. So I ordered a 0.35 mm nozzle superpack for 1.75mm filament, Makergear shipped the same evening and the kit arrived here (Ireland) a few days later. The first pressing task was to eat the free chocolate sample! Then down to the business of assembling the kit. This turned out to be pretty straightforward and all the instructions are on their website.

I’ve been printing with this for a few weeks now and so far its been printing really well. I’m getting 60 mm/s out of it easily and I plan to push it a bit further and see how far it’ll go (the old hotend struggled beyond 30 mm/s).

Something else thats been happening in the past few weeks is Action 68’s fork of skeinforge called SFACT. Check out reprapfordummies.net. Action 68 has deleted out unused plugins and the default values in SFACT are pretty good out of the box. In my opinion its a nice step forward and I’ve been getting nicer prints as a result. Its integrated into Kliment’s pronterface host which is pretty cool. Hard to keep up with all the development…. 😉